By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
African 360 NewsAfrican 360 NewsAfrican 360 News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
Reading: US Drops Bond Requirement For World Cup Ticket Holders
Share
Notification
Font ResizerAa
African 360 NewsAfrican 360 News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Corrections & Feedback Policy
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
African 360 News > Blog > Sports > US Drops Bond Requirement For World Cup Ticket Holders
Sports

US Drops Bond Requirement For World Cup Ticket Holders

360newsmaster
Last updated: May 14, 2026 7:16 am
360newsmaster
3 months ago
Share
SHARE

WASHINGTON, May 13 (Reuters) – The Trump administration will not require World Cup ticket holders from countries flagged for ​high rates of visa overstays to pay expensive bonds to enter the United States, ‌a U.S. State Department official said on Wednesday.

Last year, the administration began requiring visitors from some countries to pay bonds of up to $15,000 to obtain U.S. tourist visas, saying the steep deposit was needed to ​prevent visa overstays. Fifty countries are currently subject to the bond requirement, which was expanded ​this year.

Five of the 50 countries subject to the visa bonds qualified to participate in ⁠the World Cup: Algeria, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, Senegal and Tunisia.

Mora Namdar, the top official in the State Department’s ​consular affairs division, said the U.S. would waive the bond requirement for ticket-holding fans who had ​already registered through a special system to expedite their visa processing. Qualifying team members and staff can also have the bonds waived, Namdar said.

“We remain committed to strengthening U.S. national security priorities while facilitating legitimate travel for the ​upcoming World Cup tournament,” she said in a statement.

The Associated Press first reported the news.

The World ​Cup, one of the globe’s biggest sporting events, will be held in June and July this year across ‌three countries – ⁠the United States, Canada and Mexico.

U.S. President Donald Trump’s aggressive immigration crackdown has already cast a pall over the event and raised concerns about the presence of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.
Last year, masked federal agents surged into U.S. cities to track down immigration offenders and detained some ​tourists at airports.

The advocacy ​group Human Rights Watch ⁠in late April, called on FIFA to press the U.S. government to establish an “ICE Truce” for the World Cup, including a public guarantee to refrain ​from immigration enforcement operations at games and venues.

DHS said at the time ​that international ⁠visitors travelling for the games “have nothing to worry about” if they have legal immigration status.

The U.S. launched a system in January to make it easier for World Cup ticket holders to obtain expedited visas. To have the bond requirement waived, ticket holders from affected countries must have registered in the FIFA PASS system by April 15.

You Might Also Like

World Cup 2026 Power Rankings: England, Argentina And France Make Statements After Round One
Guardiola Tells Doku Secret to Becoming Like Yamal and Vinicius
Messi wins 2026 Princess of Asturias Award for Sports
Cape Verde at World Cup 2026: What to know
New York, New Jersey subpoena FIFA over World Cup ticket pricing
SOURCES:Reuters
Share This Article
Facebook LinkedIn Reddit Email Copy Link
Previous Article NDC 2027: NDC pegs presidential forms at N60m, governorship at N30m
Next Article Michael Carrick: Manchester United ready to open talks over him becoming permanent boss Michael Carrick: Manchester United ready to open talks over him becoming permanent boss
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Messi Diagnosed with Left Hamstring Fatigue, Return Unsure

3 months ago

South Korea howler gifts Mexico victory as World Cup co-hosts reach knockout phase

2 months ago

Revenge of the ‘hellhole’: Belgium eyes payback in US World Cup clash

1 month ago

FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

3 months ago
Previous Next
African 360 News Logo

African 360 News delivers balanced insights on African politics, leadership, and continental affairs — giving you context beyond the headlines.

  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Corrections & Feedback Policy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology

Find Us on Socials

© African 360 News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?