By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
African 360 NewsAfrican 360 NewsAfrican 360 News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
Reading: Iran says it targeted American base after fresh US strikes
Share
Notification
Font ResizerAa
African 360 NewsAfrican 360 News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Corrections & Feedback Policy
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
African 360 News > Blog > News > Iran says it targeted American base after fresh US strikes
News

Iran says it targeted American base after fresh US strikes

360newsmaster
Last updated: May 29, 2026 8:03 am
360newsmaster
3 months ago
Share
SHARE

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) says it has targeted an American air base in the region, after fresh US strikes on southern Iran.

The IRGC did not say where the base was, but Kuwait, which hosts a US base, said it had intercepted “hostile missile and drone threats”, without specifying where they were coming from.

Earlier the US military said it had shot down Iranian drones over the Strait of Hormuz and struck a military site in Bandar Abbas, a strategic port city.

The renewed hostilities threaten a fragile ceasefire between the US and Iran.

It is the second time in three days that the US has attacked targets in Iran – saying that the strikes were conducted in self defence.

The site in Bandar Abbas was struck as it was about to launch a fifth drone, US Central Command (Centcom) said. Iranian media reported that explosions were heard to the east of the city.

Centcom described its actions as “measured, purely defensive, and intended to maintain the ceasefire”.

It also said its forces shot down four Iranian one-way attack drones “that posed a threat around the Strait of Hormuz”.

The IRGC said it had targeted an American air base “that served as the source of the attack” on Bandar Abbas, according to state broadcaster IRIB.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmail Baqai condemned the US strikes and said they constituted a violation of the ceasefire.

He added that the Islamic republic would “take all necessary measures to defend its national sovereignty”, according to quotes cited by IRIB.

Earlier this week, the US confirmed a previous round of “self-defence” strikes on southern Iran on Monday in which they targeted Iranian missile sites and boats attempting to lay mines in the Strait, where thousands of commercial tanker ships are stranded as a result of the conflict.

Centcom said those strikes were designed “to protect our troops from threats posed by Iranian forces”.

The US also imposed sanctions on the “Persian Gulf Strait Authority” – the Iranian body tasked with collecting payments from ships travelling through the Strait of Hormuz.

Any ships that pay the authority could also be “exposed to the risk of sanctions”, the US Treasury Department said in a statement.

One-fifth of the world’s liquefied natural gas and oil normally pass through the shipping channel, and its closure has impacted global fuel trade.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Monday that Tehran was collecting fees for “navigational services” and it would continue to manage traffic through the waterway.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent described it as the “Iranian military’s latest attempt to extort global maritime trade” and “proof” Iran is “desperate for cash”.

The IRGC also said on Tuesday that it had downed a US drone and fired at a fighter jet and another drone that entered Iranian airspace, but did not specify when.

Protracted negotiations have been taking place to end the three-month war that has choked traffic in the Strait of Hormuz and caused global energy prices to shoot up.

During a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, US President Donald Trump said that Iran is “negotiating on fumes”, insisting that his war strategy will not be impacted by November’s US midterm elections.

“Maybe we have to go back and finish it, maybe we don’t,” he said.

During that meeting, the president also urged Gulf nations to sign on to the Abraham Accords to normalise relations with Israel.

Israel launched the war against Iran alongside the US on 28 February and is also embroiled in a war with Iranian-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Trump has threatened to resume a large-scale bombing campaign if Iran does not agree to his terms.

While Trump struck an optimistic note over the weekend, saying that a peace deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated”, by Wednesday’s cabinet meeting, he said that the US was “not satisfied”.

He said Tehran was “very much intent” on reaching an agreement to end the conflict, but added “so far they haven’t gotten there”, repeating Washington’s willingness to resume strikes if one is not reached.

His remarks came after Iranian state TV reported what it said were details of a draft agreement, which included reopening the Strait of Hormuz and the withdrawal of US forces from the region.

The White House branded the text a “complete fabrication”.

Both sides signalled progress had been made towards a deal late last week, prompting speculation an announcement was close.

However, Tehran soon cautioned a deal was “not imminent” while Trump said he had instructed his negotiators “not to rush into” one.

 

You Might Also Like

IMC on Migration inspects Lindela Repatriation Centre in Krugersdorp
Liberia: ECOWAS Ministers Chart New Path to Eliminate Malaria by 2050
Bail for politician’s husband after 18 undocumented foreigners found at his guesthouse
The Strange Geography Of Kémi Séba
South African sentenced to federal prison in the United States for being a ‘secret foreign agent’
SOURCES:BBC
Share This Article
Facebook LinkedIn Reddit Email Copy Link
Previous Article In more good news for Amazon, Snowflake signs $6B deal with AWS for AI CPU chips
Next Article The Beautiful Game Stops at The Border
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Ramaphosa invites investors to partner with govt help shape SA future - SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader.

Ramaphosa Testimony Splits Impeachment Committee – Key Decisions Kicked Down the Road

4 weeks ago

Madlanga Commission to hear claims against senior IDAC Investigator Brian Padayachee

1 month ago

The Kémi Séba Case Explained: From Pan-African Firebrand to Pretoria Prison Cell

2 months ago

Ukrainian drones strike a St. Petersburg oil terminal ahead of Putin visit

3 months ago
Previous Next
African 360 News Logo

African 360 News delivers balanced insights on African politics, leadership, and continental affairs — giving you context beyond the headlines.

  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Corrections & Feedback Policy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology

Find Us on Socials

© African 360 News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?