By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
African 360 NewsAfrican 360 NewsAfrican 360 News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
Reading: More Than 2,000 Malawians Are Trying to Leave South Africa and Scammers Are Already Hunting Them
Share
Notification
Font ResizerAa
African 360 NewsAfrican 360 News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Corrections & Feedback Policy
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
African 360 News > Blog > News > More Than 2,000 Malawians Are Trying to Leave South Africa and Scammers Are Already Hunting Them
News

More Than 2,000 Malawians Are Trying to Leave South Africa and Scammers Are Already Hunting Them

360newsmaster
Last updated: June 3, 2026 1:03 pm
360newsmaster
3 months ago
Share
SHARE

Malawi’s government announced a formal voluntary repatriation on 2 June after vigilante attacks on African migrants spread across Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and the Western Cape.

Over 2,449 Malawians crossed back home through border posts before the repatriation was even announced, with the numbers rising sharply each week.

More than 2,000 Malawians in South Africa have asked their government to help them get home. The attacks that drove them to that point have been happening for weeks.

The Malawian government made the repatriation official on 2 June, after what it called vigilante demonstrations and attacks on African migrants across several South African provinces. The violence hit hardest in Gauteng, including Katlehong east of Johannesburg, in Durban’s central areas, and in parts of the Western Cape including Gansbaai.

By the time Malawi announced the formal repatriation, thousands had already left on their own. Border records show 2,449 Malawians crossed back home through the Mwanza and Dedza border posts in under three weeks, with immigration officials linking the surge directly to the attacks.

Malawi’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it has been in contact with diaspora groups through its High Commission in Pretoria and Consulate General in Johannesburg.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has condemned the attacks, but fear among foreign nationals has continued to spread.

The repatriation is voluntary and will be done by bus. Only Malawians who have asked for help getting home will be assisted. The government says it will announce the full logistics once preparations are complete.

But buried in the official statement is a warning that reveals how desperate things have become. The government told its citizens in South Africa to watch out for scammers posing as government representatives offering to organise their evacuation.

Malawians wanting help are told to contact only the High Commission in Pretoria on +27 12 342 0146 or the Consulate in Johannesburg on +27 11 234 8577.

 

You Might Also Like

Five arrested for impersonating Home Affairs officials
Madlanga grills Jacob on booking drug consignment at Isipingo police station
Ramaphosa Testimony Splits Impeachment Committee – Key Decisions Kicked Down the Road
Children of Immigrants Forced to Leave South African Schools
Madlanga Commission Reopens Ekurhuleni Corruption Probe – South African News Briefs – June 22, 2026
SOURCES:All Africa
Share This Article
Facebook LinkedIn Reddit Email Copy Link
Previous Article Durban Magistrate’s Court refuses bail for Sandile Mzizi in ANC murder trial
Next Article Joburg Water’s strategy to manage R3.1 billion debt and combat water losses
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Seba Extradition Case Signals Broader Battle Over Stability And Free Speech In West Africa

5 months ago

Mnangagwa urges Zimbabweans returning from South Africa to come home

1 month ago
Kémi Séba

The Rise of Kémi Séba and His Growing Influence

4 months ago

A.I. Is Strangling Our Economy

2 months ago
Previous Next
African 360 News Logo

African 360 News delivers balanced insights on African politics, leadership, and continental affairs — giving you context beyond the headlines.

  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Corrections & Feedback Policy
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Economics
  • Opinion
  • Regions
  • Sports
  • Technology

Find Us on Socials

© African 360 News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?